75 Years of Craftsmanship…
Alexis Manufacturing was founded in 1946 by father and son furniture makers, Ivan and Norman Alexis in Grand Rapids, Michigan, known as “Furniture City.” Soon after World War II, Evart Erickson joined the company.
The business started at the Farmer’s Warehouse at Coldbrook and Plainfield. Early product lines were primarily tables, but Alexis began making chairs when the Carlton Surrey company asked for their production help. Alexis soon outgrew its original location and built a new production facility on Opel Street on the south side of Grand Rapids. The business prospered and moved to 1400 Front Street in 1965 where the main focus was still the manufacturing of chairs for other producers. In 1974, Hekman Furniture Co. bought Alexis. Nine years later, it was acquired by Howard Miller Clock Company. Alexis continued to grow and the plant moved again in 1997 to the northwest side of Walker, MI.
The 75-year tradition of high-quality craftsmanship that Mr. Alexis initiated remains an integral part of Alexis today. We continue to produce the fine furniture and components that have made Grand Rapids famous the world over.