1946 father and son team Ivan and Norman Alexis started Alexis
Manufacturing, and soon, after the war, Evart Erickson joined them.
The business started at the Farmer’s Warehouse at Coldbrook and
Plainfield. The beginning product was occasional tables but switched
to chairs when Carlton Surrey asked for their production help. They
soon outgrew this facility and built a building themselves on Opel
Street on the south side of Grand Rapids.
The business prospered and moved to 1400
Front Street in 1965. The main product line was still the
manufacturing of chairs for other manufacturers. In 1974 Hekman
Furniture Co., then owned by Beatrice Foods, bought Alexis to produce
chairs for their company. While Alexis did manufacture Hekman product,
the company continued to produce chairs for other fine furniture
manufacturers. In 1983 Beatrice Foods sold Hekman to Howard Miller
Through the support of Howard Miller Clock
Company and the continued growth of Alexis Manufacturing, the plant
moved again in 1997 to 3188 Wilson, on the north west side of Walker.